Let’s talk problematics related to mold contamination. When meeting with owners struggling with issues related to mold contamination we find that they are often related to certain common disorders & can be categorized into two distinct groups, which are infiltration & condensation. Here are some examples:
- Infiltration problems (surrounding the chimney or openings of the roof), a roof that has to be replaced.
- Condensation problems (lack of insulation, lack of ventilation, lack or breach in the vapor barrier, lack of air extraction ex.: dryer exhaust, bathroom fan, stove hut).
- Infiltration problems (on doors and window openings, bad waterproofing of the buildings envelope, balconies & terraces badly fixed to the building …)
- Condensation problems (lack of insulation, lack of air extraction ex.: bathroom fans, stove hut, air exchanger, lack of humidity control …)
- Infiltration problems (cracked foundation walls, non-functional or absence of french drain, lack of vapor barrier under the slab, at the doors and window openings …)
- Condensation problems (inadequate insulation, lack of vapor barrier at the joists, lack of humidity control, lack of heating …)
When in presence of a crawl space, we have a winning recipe for mold,(presence of bare soil, organic matter in contact with the ground, absence of vapor barrier on the ground, lack of humidity control, possible presence of Serpula Lacrymans or other mushrooms …)
Of course combined with all the elements mentioned above, there is always the risk of internal breakage or damage (hot water tank breakage, leaking or broken plumbing, leakage of air conditioning systems …)
You will quickly understand that the issues listed above will lead the property to mold disorders. Mold, these plant organisms that allow the degradation of organic matter, is part of a natural process. This process, when concentrated, affects the health of the occupants.